There are so many tools which we can talk about for programming and web development. These apps allow us to create a color scheme, retouch images, create fonts and write code in different computer languages. In this article, I have tried to make a list of the best available apps right now.
These apps promise to keep you connected and able to handle tasks. I started with the list of cool apps that any programmer would love to install.
1- Code Runner
Code Runner is built to run your code instantly in any programming language. 25 languages can run on the code runner out of the box and support other languages. Adding a language is very easy on the app. Code Runner can also run multi-file projects too.
If we talk about the debugging, one can set breakpoints and step through the code in a dozen languages. Debugging in any language has never been so easy. The programming languages that can run on the Code Runner are given:[table id=3 /]
Evernote now comes with a more navigational structure as iOS engineering teams decided the Evernote experience from the ground up. This Evernote is lightning fast on iPad, iPod, and iPhone. There are more shortcuts for your workflow:
- Quick access to notebooks
- New Tab Bar
- Home Screen Removed
- New tag and reminder search filters
- Switch between personal and business accounts
When you open the Evernote, you will see a green button having ‘plus sign’. By click on the button, a blank note opens so you can start typing. You can add the color and change the size of the text. There are so many exciting things like headers, sub-headers and emphasize words. So, this is a remarkable app for the developers.
This is a very interesting app because if you find an interesting web page you’d rather read it later. Simply you just have to save it to the Instapaper. you can read it later, even without the internet connection. When you have a WiFi or mobile data coverage, this app downloads your unread articles very quickly.
You can browse your friends’ liked articles too. Instapaper’s browse feature helps you to find interesting articles directly in the app.
The iPhone and now iPad have transformed Instapaper from being from a useful service to an essential one .
-MG Sieglar, TechCrunch
You can also post to Twitter, Facebook, Evernote, Tumblr, and many others using accounts. Even if you are offline when you create posts, they will be saved and posted when you are online. So, developers are having fun using this app.
This app has many features as you can preview on the internal browser, download images from the web, send e-mail, configure editor’s styles, export to and import from Dropbox, and projects templates from Basic, JQuery, p5, Bootstrap and React.
This app is designed around the concept of editing the parse tree. This approach is chosen because of its suitability to the touchscreen interface of the iPad, iPod, and iPhone. This app supports Clojure and Scheme.
It is very difficult actually to edit code on the touchscreen interface through text view. Editing source code character by character is a wedded concept to the keyboard and is inappropriate for Apple devices as none of them have a keyboard, so Lisping allows you to edit your code through the parse tree.
This app helps you to select, create and move syntax elements, a task suited for iOS’s touchscreen interface. Lisping has support for both Clojure and Scheme. It has built-in Scheme interpreter, so you can try the code on your device, however, execution of Clojure is impossible on iOS.
Penultimate is specially designed for iPad as this is the award-winning digital handwriting app which combines the experience of pan and paper with the power of Evernote’s sync.
Lose the Paper, Keep the handwritting.
This app has a huge library of paper styles. It is like a premium notebook for free as it includes lines, dots, planners, to-do lists and grids to calendars. Tons of formatting options are available for pen strokes, highlights and color preferences. Flexibility is also its separate feature which makes it quite interesting.
It links with Dropbox and Evernote easily and its writing engine is very smooth. You can treat your iPad like a sheet of paper.
7- Prompt 2
Prompt 2 is the best SSH client for iOS. You can restart your server, fix the web page from anywhere. It is very powerful, elegant and always ready.
Some remarkable features are gathered to attract the programmers:
- Clips: You can put your most used text and commands into clips and access them with a single tap easily.
- Panic Sync: You can bring your servers, passwords, and keys to all of your devices as it is very easy, free and secure.
- New Look: Prompt 2 is faster, cleaner and a little more TRON and helps you to get your work done with ease.
- Security: You can generate private keys within the prompt and manage them very easily.
- Lots More:
3D touch Touch ID / Face ID Server folders Split-screen multitasking switch between open connections
For creating Python scripts on your iPad or iPhone, Pythonista is the complete developing environment. From games and animations to image manipulation, plotting, the custom user interface, and automation scripts, everything can be developed on this tool.
With the powerful standard library, Pythonista also provides extensive support for interaction with iOS features, like photos, reminders, contacts, location data and many more.
I found it very interesting as a programmer, so I want to share more information about Pythonista. Some special features are as follows:
- Full-featured Code Editor: It provides syntax highlighting, smart-code completion and an extended on-screen keyboard, specifically designed for Python Language Developers.
- Graphics and Multi-Touch: Pythonista comes 2D graphics, sound effects, and multi-touch. You can also create motion-controlled games or interactive experiments.
- Powerful Interactive Prompt: When you want to perform an ad-hoc calculation or try snippet of code, the prompt is just a step away. you can also use it for inspection.
- Batteries Included: Pythonista also includes several modules designed for iOS. Pythonista is probably the best tool for Twitter API’s.
Raskell is Haskell development environment for your iPad. You can write your code through Vi-like keyboard bindings, press for the interpreter window, execute your script and evaluate expressions. This Vi-like keyboard is designed so that you should never need to move the fingers from home to edit or move text.
This Haskell is an updated version of the popular open source Hugs interpreter. This gives you a true Haskell IDE because of full Haskell 98 support. Some additional features are given:
- Syntax highlighting
- Background Syntax checking
- Browse symbols on your code
You can go to the command mode by clicking the blue button and labels on the keys will change to commands that will be familiar to any Vi user.
10- SSH Term Pro
SSH Term Pro is the best SSH/Telnet client app for iOS devices. This app supports multiple connections simultaneously and also support to import privates in multiple formats like RSA, DSA, and Putty by using iTunes sharing, import from other apps.
Some features are pointed below:
- Key (KSA) Generation, Clipboard, Sharing Via Email
- Option to choose user’s own and built-in fonts
- Options to configure background, foreground, cursor color selection
- Pinch to zoom terminal screen
- Easy to manage many servers, Organise server by group
- Connect to any server which supports SSH2 or Telnet Protocol using password or keys
- Application work in all orientations
- Easy to turn on or off option for the auto scroll at cursor focus
- Configure unlimited connections and save it for later use
- Support almost all the editors like Vi, Vim, Pico and Nano
- Configurable port like use non-standard port 2202
- Quick to connect and disconnect from home screen
- Built-in Passcode features
- And many more
11- Textastic 7
Textastic is a versatile code and markup editor. It supports more than 80 programming and markup languages for syntax highlighting. You can connect to SSH, FTP, SFTP, and WebDAV Servers or can connect to Dropbox or Google Drive Account.
By using the WebDAV server, you can transfer files from your Mac or PC over WiFi. Textastic is compatible with TextMate and Sublime Text 3 syntax definitions and themes. Textastic 7 is updated version and it has some additional features like:
- You can open multiple files in tabs now
- SSH Terminal Connections
- New Syntax Highlighter
- Sort files by name, date, size or extension
- Use the new fuzzy search for files
TunnelBear VPN is a simple and free app to browse the internet privately and securely. This app protects your online privacy, lets you access your favourite websites and secures your connection on public WiFi hotspot.
By using TunnelBear, you are free to worry about your online activities. This keeps you away from hackers, ISP’s and advertisers.
This app is so simple that you can connect by one tap. This is the app with the servers in more than 20 countries and lightning-fast speed. Weaker encryption is not a case because this app uses strong AES-256 encryption by default.
This app is as simple as the critic says
All you have to do is turn the switch to “ON” and you are protected.
13- Working Copy
When you really need to work on iOS, Working Copy is a powerful tool. This editor has syntax highlighting for more than 50 programming languages and it has a built-in color picker. You can preview images, create new branches and merge them with a brilliant merge tool.
Even if you never edit a line of code in your life, this app is a great companion for discussing code. With powerful fuzzy search, you can easily jump from symbol to declaration or reverse from the declaration.
Through the graph of your commits, you can zoom out for an overview of the commit tree or zoom in for each commit, with the lightning-speed you won’t find in Git Applications. Working Copy is free to download but you need to pay for additional features like the ability to push the commits back to remote servers.
Blueprint is a very powerful iOS user interface design application. You can create a meaningful UI with just a few drag and drops. It has many widgets including views, controls, and buttons. Just drag and drop or tap to add a widget on your screen to make a UI.
You can make your widget look great by changing colors, shapes, text, and images. You can also assign an action to each of the widgets. In a map view, you can view all the screens you have designed and you can manipulate them as you want.
After making UI Design, it can be played on the iPad. You can send this UI design to your teammates. If you want to read your project, use “Blueprint Viewer”. You can download Blueprint viewer for free. Blueprint is now updated and improved.
15- OmniGraffle 7
OmniGraffle is designed to build incredible graphics, diagrams, process charts, website and apps wireframes from simple to complex. It is very to use for precise and beautiful graphics. OmniGraffle 7 is the new version with improvements.
Some additional features are given:
- Unified Sidebar: Improved interactions with the new sidebar
- Point editor Tool: Immediate access to every point
- New Export Panel: Export your graphics in many ways
- Infinite Canvas: Make your canvas expand in many directions
- Keyboard shortcut sets: Preferred Shortcuts
- SVG import: Paste in SVG or import SVG files directly to OmniGraffle
I tried my best to sum up the effective apps for developers and programmers and I hope you liked it. However, if I have missed something or you have an opinion about these apps, you can comment below. I will get back to you as soon as possible.